Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Love...so many kinds, and the story of a girl's heart.

I have always struggled with acceptance. Not from family members or friends, but just accepting myself. Even as a little girl, I idolized my older sister, and everything she did was perfect and awesome. Since then, I have always wanted to be something other than I am. Whether it was to be like her, or like something or someone else. So often, I have sat on the floor in our little bathroom and cried....cried for who I wanted to be..cried because of what I was...cried because I was afraid and doubted the love of God....cried because of where I was in life. Ultimately, I was crying from discontent. Crying tears of doubt like the Israelites in the desert. I began realizing that I needed something to change. Something had to give, and it was either going to be my brain, my family, or my pride. Because, really, that was, and is, The Problem. Well, thankfully, my brain is still intact, as is my family, and both are healing, (albeit slowly), from the ravages of the result of my sin. This is kind of the story of what I have been working through in my life...This is the story of my heart. ( A while ago, a friend proposed a challenge to unmask your heart. I did it. Sort of. In a post you can read on this blog. But it was all stuff my friends knew anyways. This is the real unveiling...)


I was in trouble..again...Why? Why all the pain, and heartache, and disrespect, when I really did not want it? I had heard it over and over and OVER again...honor your father and your mother, etc. But something was not connecting between my ears and my heart. I would get angry. Really angry. And then, there would be peace for a week or two. Then it started all over again. Back in September, we girls and a couple of friends went to the miniature horse Nationals in Tulsa, OK. Right after we got home, there was, yes, one of those big, ugly scenes. I hurt a lot of people. (Emotionally) And then I realized that I needed a new life. I was sitting outside on our porch thinking over the recent trip. It came to me that an event that had occurred, which I thought was small at the time, had really impacted me....more than I knew. This is an excerpt from my journal about the event and the day I remembered it on....

"It is a beautiful day. There are grey storm clouds and the rain is gently falling on our healthy, bright green winter grass.  But I sit here crying. Why? Why all the inner turmoil on such an otherwise amazing day? Why can't I learn to be content? I have so much.
   There is a man somewhere in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He is broken....scarred by the use of drugs and by so much other pain in his life. He is about twenty, tallish, and would be handsome except for the evidence of drugs in his eyes. I saw him only once. At a gas station, a QT. He had a black eye then, from a fight. When I first saw him, I was scared, because he was watching us. He was sitting on a curb by our parking space. While we were in the store, a man pulled up next to him, talked to him for a second, gave him some money for a soda, and then left. He got up and walked past me as I was leaving. The pain in his eyes was unbelievable, almost not human. After we left, I cried. God alone knows how I cried for him.....it has been a few months, but I can still see that hunted look. Is he still alive? I don't know...I still pray." And I do..... For some reason, that little scenario really had an impact on me. It was sort of one of those, "But for the grace of God, there go I" moments. I began to see how truly blessed I am....with a loving family, and friends who accept me no matter what I do....and, most of all, a God who cares for me so much, that He sent His own Son to die, just for me. That truth and the significance of it has been so hard for me to grasp.

Anyways, after that day, the next time something really had a profound impact on me was when I had a severe cold a little while back. I decided to re-read the unabridged version of Ben Hur. I had read it about four years ago. Unfortunately, when I read it the first time, all I got out of it was the romance between Ben Hur, Iras, and Esther. (Pretty sad). I even skipped the whole first book with the story of the wise men. This time, I read the whole thing. I realized halfway through that the book was not a romance story, as I had originally thought, but was really an amazing, well written and presented Gospel story! I was so surprised! And I was very, very thankful for the wisdom of the author. This is going to sound awful, but while I have gone this far, I might as well go all the way....the Bible is sometimes very boring to me.....I mean, so boring that I struggle to get through daily devotions. The Gospel had become an old story, and Christ was just some man who lived 2000 yrs ago. Yes, that really looks awful in writing, but it is sadly very true. I am so grateful that God sent that book into my life. Through it, the Gospel story came alive, and I realized that Christ is SO much more than "just a man". I cried my way through that book, but it was very good for me. And so I am beginning to change. Slowly. But there is change, and I don't want to lose it. Yes, some days are hard, but the severe anger has been gone for sometime. Please, please pray for me..... I don't want the discontent or the anger....I want to be able to love myself ...not because of anything that I have done....Far from it! But wholly and solely because Christ loves me so, so much....it helps me to be content while I am waiting. I so want to graduate, and get married, and "move on in life", but I am slowly learning what it is to love where I am at.

OK, I was not prepared to write all that when I sat down, but I suppose it was good to get it all out. I want the mask off. I want to stop hiding under a fake profile, and I want to learn to love.










9 comments:

  1. Well, after that, it's kinda hard to know what to say. Nothing seems quite to fit, but you kinda keel like you gotta say something. :) Mostly just keep going, I guess, and keep being real, mostly with yourself, for that is where I have found it really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks big brother..you are one of my greatest role models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Mom was the one with me at that gas station......

      Delete
  3. Really wish I could give you a big hug right now, girl. You are not alone with your struggles. There are times when the Bible is very dry for me as well, but I'm learning of late that when we have no appetite for God's Word, it means we are already full of other things, and we need to starve ourselves of those things to make us hungry for His Word again. :) I hear you. I know what it's like. But in God's amazing, awesome love for us, He never gives up on us when our hearts grow cold. He is still right there, waiting for you to turn your eyes upon Him again!

    Isn't it amazing how little things can wake you up to the blessings in your life? How profound a memory of something simple yet strong can hit you in the heart. I notice that often. I have been a counsellor for several young adults who have been through horrendous circumstances, and still struggle with terrible things in their lives, and it makes me sit back with a stunned awe at my own life. By what miracle do I have what I have? For it is only by God, and nothing I have done that my life is what it is. But for the grace of God, I could be in one of a million terrible places.

    You are a beautiful young woman, Anna. Inside you lives the Spirit that raised Christ from the dead. Your eyes shine with the light of His love, and you are perfect on the inside, with not a spot or blemish to be seen. Don't let the things satan throws at you; those doubts, those fits of anger or memories he flings in your face of past failures set you back. God knows how much there is still yet untapped in you waiting to come out, and reveal His own glory. From a fellow girl who has had acceptance issues, try to remember that you already are accepted. :) God doesn't make mistakes. He makes masterpieces. And you are one of them.

    You were born original. Don't die a copy. Don't be another someone else. Be the best and only you that you can be. Trust that God knew what He was doing when He made you, and remember that He has not given up on you, not by a long shot. He will complete the good work He began in you. He promises that. :)

    And yes, this may seem weird, but little though I know you, I love your family, and I love you. :) If you ever want to talk or vent or rant and rave even, drop me an email, hon. I'd be happy to hear from you, and I'd love to encourage you. :) bushmaid [@] gmail [.] com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...thank you for taking the time to write all of this. "God doesn't make mistakes. He makes masterpieces." This is so true...I just have to remind myself of it. Thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna....I am so blessed by you! Thank you for your sincerity and honesty before us, God's desire for us is to be humble and you have displayed such humility here. Bushmaid is so correct in sharing that you are not alone. The flip side of struggling with acceptance is a heart that desires to please, God and others. This can be a beautiful thing when we allow the Lord to use those weaknesses to show Himself strong and mighty as He works through our earthen vessel. I can so be a people pleaser but as I have "aged" I realize that this stems from a heart that desires to please God. There was a phrase that a woman going home to see her Savior, left me with.....Know yourself, know your God, and know your purpose. The little portion about knowing myself has been extremely helpful in my life. Knowing how I respond to things and examining my heart has been incredible. It can be called a 911 plan....such as...if I am frustrated with something it has been good to step back and evaluate why those feelings are rising up in me. Sometimes it is because my personal justice system has been violated or sometimes it is because something made me feel rejected. Then I get to move to the beauty of God's word...am I rejected? No, fully accepted on the basis of Jesus Christ. Aww...comfort. What do I do if my personal justice system has been violated, lay it at the feet of Jesus, in prayer. Knowing that He tells me, vengeance is His...He will take care of it in His time and His way. Cast all my cares upon Him, He will carry my burden. I love what Mark shared with me...the burden is not always gone, it is just carried by the Lord now. I have found that when I take the time to evaluate and then really pour my heart out to God...." Lord, that truly hurt my feelings or Lord that is not fair, I need your help." He comes to my rescue and gives me the help I need. It may be a verse, it may be peace, it may be strength to walk away, but it is help from Him and He knows all things. You are being so sensitive to the Holy Spirit and you are not being complacent in your walk with the Lord. These are commendable. The Holy Spirt that dwells in you with be faithful to complete the work He has started and He will give you grace for the journey. Be careful to extend that same grace to your self. It is only the enemy that would want to condemn you but Christ....He is interceding on your behalf, knowing that He has paid it all already. You are a beautiful young lady with a sweet smile, and many are cheering you on and praying with you. With much love, Mrs. Grassmyer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mrs Grassmyer. I did not see this until just now because I am not on here very often. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anna!

    So, I am VERY late on this one... I know, but I did want you to know that this is exactly what I needed. I am 14 and going through these VERY SAME struggles. It's like you read my diary. :) Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for being so honest. I know, it's the worst... And it's SO hard to be real with people. So I admire you for it, and am very grateful.

    I hope you have a wonderful week!
    Savannah Overstreet

    P. S. I found your blog through your comment on a friends, friends post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so thankful it encouraged you!!! I'm adding you to my prayers. He is so faithful and will be with you as you walk this out. Dont get discouraged, and always keep the bigger picture in mind!!! He loves you oh so much.

    ReplyDelete